Follow me!

Follow me on Facebook! Get great kitchen tips, snacks, nutrition articles and more. Go To:http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Primal-Mama-Cooks-and-dishes-on-life/279450101397?ref=ts

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

No Heart Attack Taco Seasoning

Here's a challenge. Go to the grocery store and pick out a packet of taco seasoning. Turn it over and read the ingredients. Try not to drop dead of shame for putting this "food" in your body for the last 10 years. Can you pronounce any of the ingredients? 'fraid not. Since I do not have a degree in Chemistry, and Nursing School did not teach me the finer details of ingesting something liken to toxic plastic, I chose to come up with my own. You can double or triple this and keep it in a jar in your cupboard so you have it next time around. Just think of all the yummy, tacoie things you can make!





What you'll need:




2 tsp. dried, minced onion


1 tsp chili powder (or more to taste)


1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes (omit for the kiddies)


1/4 tsp dried oregano


1/2 tsp granulated garlic


1/2 tsp ground cumin


1/2 tsp arrowroot (if having a thick sauce is important to you)




What you do:




Get a small bowl out. Mix all of the above ingredients with a fork. Give it a careful whiff...mmmm...


The seasoning looks a little different than the store bought stuff. Mostly due to the lack of "Red Dye #57". And I call it "No Heart Attack" as a homage to the lack of salt in this little number. Your cardiovascular system thanks me.




To make a simple taco meat you can brown one pound of grass fed ground beef (or to my turkey lovers out there, one pound of turkey). Add the taco seasoning and 1/2 a cup of water. Stir in 1/2 a small can of tomato paste. Simmer it until it's thick and fragrent. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I did always feel bad using those packets of Lawry's seasoning (especially due to the nasty starches they use), so this is definitely going into my recipe book. And heck, I already have all the ingredients necessary :)

    ReplyDelete