Follow me!

Follow me on Facebook! Get great kitchen tips, snacks, nutrition articles and more. Go To:http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Primal-Mama-Cooks-and-dishes-on-life/279450101397?ref=ts

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Taco Salad

Sometimes I simply don't know what to cook. I may even start with one idea and switch it half way through the cooking process. My husband will tell you that when he asks me what's for dinner I will often say, "I don't know yet, but I'll tell you when I figure it out." All the while there is food on the stove bubbling and sizzling away.







This taco salad was born of that thinking. I had grass fed ground beef out, but what to make. Burgers... not tonight, meatloaf...blech, meat sauce... oh lord I don't have 10 hours. So I decided on taco salad. Simple, quick, delicious and my home made seasoning is just a couple of posts down from this one. Perfect!







What you'll need:






1 pound grass fed ground beef






1 onion, sliced thin






1 red bell pepper, sliced thin






1 bag of lettuce (romaine preferred)






1/2 cup pico de gallo






1 avocado






1 serving of my "no heart attack" taco seasoning, available a couple of posts down






1 8oz can tomato sauce






1/2 cup water






Here's what you do:






Brown and drain the ground beef. Set it aside in a bowl. In the same pan saute the onion and red pepper until it's soft. Put the meat back in with the onion and pepper. Add in the tomato sauce and give it a stir. Stir in the seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Let it cook down a little bit and thicken up. Now, shout your favorite Spanish phrase of joy. I would, but my mom made me take eight years of French because she thought it was a "pretty" language. It's served me well over the years - HA!






Now for the assembly. Grab a couple of handfuls of lettuce and throw it on the plate. Top with the meat mixture. Spoon on a bit of pico de gallo and top with avocado slices. If you want to get crazy you could even squeeze a little lime over the top.






And there you have it. A quick (and I mean like Usain Bolt quick) taco salad that is flavorful and super yummy. No cheese, beans or tortilla needed... I promise!






p.s. sorry about the over exposed picture with the wrong date stamp on it. The salad is really much prettier than that. It was the last shot before my battery died in the camera. And since all of the 500 double a's we have in this house are being used in toys that are so child proof you have to have one of those microscopic screwdrivers and the patience of Job to get them out, you get the crummy picture.




Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment